Sunday, January 6, 2013

It's All Your Perspective

Today started off rough. I woke up around 8am with a horrible migraine, the kind that overtakes my entire head.  Ever since the neck issues started, I have a slight headache in the back and top of my head at all times.  I've become accustomed to this and find it lessening as I exercise more.  This morning, my forehead was pounding as well.  The nausea was horrible and of course I had no prescription migraine meds in the house.  I got up and took some Excedrin then went back to sleep.

Around 10am I woke up and started drinking some water.  By 11am I was ready to attempt food.  I went for a scrambled egg with cheese figuring I needed the protein.

It was amazing how much better I felt in a few hours.  It was a good thing because I had things to get done today and staying in bed all day with a headache was not one of them.

I took our oldest cat, Figaro to the vet for a follow up on her thyroid.  She was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism about 2 years ago.  We tried medication and it didn't help much.  She's constantly losing weight.  The vet had us try the Y/D Prescription Diet. We tried the wet food about a year ago, with little success.  She'd eat it for a few days, then refuse it.  She likes variety. When she was at the vet last month the Hills representative came that day so I was given a sample of the dry food and more wet food.  She ate the wet food for a few days, then once again refused.  She will eat the dry food every so often.  With the thyroid issue and the weight loss, she has developed a heart murmur.  Last month it was a 2 out of 7. Today it was down to a 1 out of 7.  She gained .8 lbs in a month.  We're seeing improvement.  The plan is to get her to eat more hard food and less soft food to see if we can get the thyroid under control.  This should help everything else fall into place.  Figaro will be 14 on April 1st so I know she's getting up there, but my childhood cat lived to be 21.  We hope Fig still has some good years left.  She looks good and acts fine except for her defiant behavior of using the bathroom on furniture when we're not around.  Sometimes I think she's pissed at us for having other pets and that's how she gets back at us.

When I got home from the vet, Liberty and I went to Wal Mart for a few groceries. We stayed to the outside of the store as much as possible.  I've been having a Myoplex Lite Protein Shake in the mornings after working out so I needed to get those. They're really good.  I plan on buying the powder to make my own shakes, but today they only had vanilla and not in the size for the $2 off coupon I had.  Anyway, we stuck to fruits, veggies, and high protein snacks like cheese sticks and nuts.  I also bought two types of Flatouts instead of bread. We've decided we're not going back to bread. Any of the snacks we bought had a coupon.

When we returned from our shopping adventure I made myself a peanut butter on the Hungry Girl flatout.  I toasted it before adding the peanut butter and it was very good.  We then decided to take a walk to get some activity in since I didn't work out this morning.  Gabe came with.  We walked to Liberty's school then back so it was a little over a mile round trip.  It was nice to talk about plans and be outside together.

So what started out as a really bad day, turned out to be a pretty good day.  We found out the cat is getting better, we stuck to our healthy shopping and couponing plan, and exercised together as a family.  I can't think of a better way to spend a Sunday.

No comments: