Monday, November 21, 2011

Holy Crap the Pain, Batman!

If you've read any of my past blog posts and/or follow me on Twitter or Facebook, you know that I suffer from chronic pain. Last year I was diagnosed with herniated discs in my neck. I went through PT, it helped, and I would have occasional flare ups.

Fast forward to August. My neck started hurting again. My home traction unit wasn't helping so I went back to the neurologist in September. He ordered 3 more weeks of PT and a new MRI. PT did nothing for the pain. The MRI showed a third herniated disc. The pain was so intense he referred me to a neurosurgeon.

I saw Dr. Ronderos at Pinnacle Brain and Spine here in Mobile. He said he didn't see the need for surgery yet and wanted to try a few things including epidurals and seeing the rehabilitation doctor, Dr. Kopp. I had my first epidural towards the end of October. I didn't have much relief so I had a second one last Monday. There has been no change, the pain continues to increase.

Today was my first time seeing Dr. Kopp. After an assessment and discussing my pain and symptoms in detail, he believes that the pain I am suffering from currently is due to tense muscles and occipital neuralgia. Today he did 3 trigger point injections, one where my should and neck meet on the left side, and 2 on either side at the base of my skull. Ouch!!!

As I read more about this disorder, it makes a lot of sense. Most of my migraines probably aren't migraines. I pray that we have finally found the issue and can more forward to alleviate this pain. I'm so ready to get back to a quality of life instead of being in pain every moment of every day. He also said I have to look at the pain as a weekly thing instead of day-to-day.

No comments: