Thursday, January 28, 2010

The Week from Hell

This has been a week, let me tell you. I've been sick since last week. Coughing, sore throat, achy, but no fever. Sunday my dryer quit working. Luckily our neighbors are practically family so I was able to dry a load of laundry at their house. Gabe and two friends found information online about fixing dryers and trouble shot it down to a part. Gabe bought the part on Monday at lunch and fixed the dryer for $30. I felt horrible all day so I went to the doctor after work and found out I had bronchitis and laryngitis. Two shots and two prescriptions.

Of course I had laundry to do Monday night, so I washed a load of clothes. When I went in the laundry room the wash tub was full of yucky, brown water and was not draining. Great, the sewer line was backing up into the house again!

Tuesday I went to work, feeling a little better. Gabe met the plumber at lunch and he was able to clear the line. More money we didn't need to spend. Tuesday night I got home and was exhausted. I went to bed at 7:00pm and was asleep by 8:00pm. When I woke up Wednesday morning I had no voice. None. My whole body hurt and my throat felt like it was swelling shut. Okay, great. Now I have to stay home. There was no way I could work feeling so ick and not being able to talk. Spent most of the day sleeping.

Wednesday night/Thursday morning around 1:30am I heard Max, our 10 year old Sheltie, barking in the backyard. About 30 minutes later I heard him making an odd sound. I wasn't sure what is was so I woke up Gabe. He made it outside first. He started calling the dog and heard the noise. The dog was in the pool! He was drowning! The horrible sound that woke me was him gulping. He was in the center of the deep end. Gabe hollered for me to get him something long to reach the dog with. I then said, "get the net, the net!" Gabe scooped him in the net and pulled him to the side of the pool. I got him out of the water. When we got inside I checked and the outside temp was 41F. The dog was gasping and shivering. I threw towels in the dryer to warm them. We spent the next half hour drying Max and keeping him warm. His breathing and heart rate were so fast. We were both upset and worried. We wrapped him like a baby and brought him to bed with us. Somehow we managed to fall asleep. I woke up still miserable. Got Libby up for school and told her what happened and that Max was not well. She came into our room to love on him and he licked her. He actually lifted his head and was sitting up for the first time. He really loves Libby. By the time Gabe was leaving for work, he jumped off the bed and went to eat food. He's been sleeping most of the day, which is fine.

I'm finally starting to feel better. My voice is back and the fever I had is gone. I'll be back to work tomorrow after two days off. Of course Gabe's truck is on the recall list so I better make sure he continues to drive the Z. Lord only knows what else could go wrong this week.

No comments: