Thursday, January 6, 2011

First Phone-A-Thon of the New Year - DONE!


I really do enjoy my job. There are some things that are a little different from a normal job. One of those is the Phone-A-Thon. Basically it's a designated block of time where we focus on making local calls to schedule appointments. Isn't this what we are supposed to do EVERY DAY? I don't need a mandated time telling me to do my job. Oops, did I say that out loud?

These are typically on a evening and Saturday because it is easier to catch people at home. That's fine. I actually don't mind working the evenings. My family is supportive and understands. I enjoy the time at home in the mornings to myself. It has given me time to work out, clean, grocery shop, etc. Anyway, back to tonight. Our Phone-A-Thon (PAT) was scheduled 5pm-9pm when they have typically been scheduled 5pm-8pm. No one questioned it. Since it was the first one of the new year our director said they would provide dinner. Typically they bring in "junk food": pizza, chicken fingers, grease. He must have been paying attention that a lot of us are watching what we eat because he ordered dinner from Baumhower's Wings. He didn't just order wings. He ordered grilled chicken. I was pleasantly surprised. I had fixed myself dinner and brought it with just in cause.

Tonight was a success for me. I scheduled 3 appointments. I hope things continue in an upward trend. The telemarketing part of the job I dislike, but it gets people in which I like. I still believe this is my dream job. Some people may think I'm crazy, but that's okay. I'm going to enjoy following my students along their paths through school. That's why I'm doing this. I want to help people get an education.


No comments: